Sunday, May 22, 2011

all roads

today's reading for Holy Communion are here.



As I mentioned in my last post, yesterday was my nephew's First Holy Communion. Naturally there was a party at my sister's house afterwards. While it was in full swing I was dispatched to the nursing home to fetch my dad so he could be part of the festivities.

My sister lives in the country & I wouldn't usually drive from her house to the nursing home. In fact, it was a trip I had only made once, about six months ago. It involves driving down some back country boreens and should only take about 10 minutes, as opposed to 20 if one goes by the main roads. However, yesterday was lashing rain and I missed a turn & soon realised I had no idea where I was.

I decided not to worry about it. I knew I would eventually come to a road I recognised, or at least a sign pointing me to a town that I knew was close to where I wanted to go. I was under no pressure time-wise ... yes, the journey was going to take longer, but I knew that I would eventually get there.

So I drove along the back roads, the wet green hedges filled with the white blossoms of hawthorn overhanging the white blossoms of wild garlic, twisting and turning and pretty much following my nose. I recalled what I had written in yesterday's post, about how my faith journey had been sparked to new life by the baptism of my eldest son and how that had led to my discernment of vocation to the priesthood. I wondered what would have happened if for some reason that 'trigger' event hadn't taken place ... what direction would my life have taken? Would I still have ended up pursuing a vocation to the ordained ministry?

The answer, I think, is yes. There are many ways to get to the same place. Even when we aren't sure of where we are going. We just need to be calm and not panic. Have a little faith, a little trust. We'll get to the places we need to get to.

A few minutes later than scheduled I picked my dad up and drove him to the party. And I took the short cut back. I figured that a wrong turn every now and again shouldn't discourage me. After all, one has to have a little faith - even if only in our own abilities. And even if I were to go wrong - again! - I knew that I'd still get to where I was going eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment