Saturday, July 9, 2011

cruelty to animals

Today's Gospel



Hand on heart time. I'm a vegetarian leaning towards veganism. When I read passages like the one in today's gospel: 'Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground unperceived by your Father' they indicate to me that God cares for all the creatures in his creation. Which makes it difficult for me to accept the casual cruelty we inflict on the animal world. Factory farming. Battery hens. The destruction of habitat. For the sake of argument, I'll allow that the eating of meat is ok from a scriptural point of view (while pointing out that there is a case to be made that the ideal in the Bible is a vegetarian diet!) ... but that is not the same as saying it is ok to inflict pain on the creatures that St Francis called our brothers and sisters ... or to kill or allow them to die for no other reason than our convenience. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised. We can be so blind to the suffering of our fellow human beings. Why shouldn't we be blind also to the suffering of two-a-penny sparrows?

No comments:

Post a Comment