Wednesday, July 20, 2011

William Wilberforce


My wife and I watched the movie 'Amazing Grace' on DVD last night. I'm not one for weeping, but I had a wee tear in the corner of my eye for most of it. The dedication and self-sacrifice of William Wilberforce was stunning. The world needs more people like him, those who will work tirelessly, patiently, & peacefully in pursuit of causes they know to be just, whatever the personal cost.

Wilberforce's drive to change the world came as a direct result of his personal faith. We who profess faith might well ask ourselves what are we doing to change the world. For example, as my wife pointed out to me while we were watching, slavery still exists today in other forms. There is, for example, human trafficking. A particularly odious example of this is the trafficking of women for the sex trade. APT is an Irish organisation working against this horrible form of exploitation. Perhaps you could assist their work in some way. Or perhaps you work against the trade in some other way. I have a hard time imagining that if William Wilberforce were alive today he wouldn't be at the forefront of this fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment