Thursday, September 29, 2011

be an angel



Years ago when I was in a pub, a rather drunk woman looked at my (then!) long black curls and exclaimed:
'Are you an angel?'
'I don't know,' I replied. 'Maybe!'

I wasn't serious, but perhaps there was some unintended truth in what I said. Today is the feast of St Michael & All Angels (readings here).  Now I must confess, I find the subject of angels a difficult one, in the sense of separating truth, tradition, & myth. But this I do know. The Greek word 'angelos' that we translate angel also means messenger. An angel is God's messenger. And since as Christian we are all called to spread the Word of God, we are all in a sense God's messengers. To be a Christian is to have something of the angel about you.

So that's my thought for today, on the feast of St Michael and All Angels. Remember that you are called to be God's messenger. Let others know the Good News that you believe. Be an angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment