Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas lights



I was at the switching on of the Christmas lights in a small town over the weekend. As I stood in the crowd I overheard the conversation of two women near me. One couldn't make out what the local dignatary was saying in their speech before the switch was thrown. Her friend could & offered to tell her what was being said.

'Thanks,' she said. 'Just leave out anything he says about religion.'

Both laughed.

I don't know the women, so I don't know the context of the remark. Was she being ironic, knowing full well that the chances that any reference to religion on such an occassion in modern Ireland were very remote? Or was she serious, truly thinking that to have any reminder of religion would in some way 'spoil' things?

Either way, we seem to have reached a point where religion is being removed from Christmas, rather than being the reason for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment