Friday, February 17, 2012

First Holy Communion



I had what can only be described as a beautiful moment today. The widow of a priest gave me her husband's home Communion set - a really lovely one, of sterling silver made in the 1830's. I racked my brains as to how to thank her - a card didn't really seem adequate to express my gratitude for such a generous gift. Then a thought struck me ... I phoned her and asked if she would like me to use it for the first time in her home. She was delighted, not least because she had been under the weather recently and hadn't made it to Communion for a couple of weeks.

As we celebrated the Eucharist together, remembering her husband, in our prayers, it seemed truly fitting that my first time using it should be in his home with his wife.

Afterwards, as she was thanking me, I thanked her - not only for giving me the set (thus ensuring that it would continue in the liturgical use for which it was intended) but also because celebrating with her meant that I would always remember the first time I used the set. It was a very special experience, one that I truly thank God for.

today's Gospel reading

No comments:

Post a Comment