Thursday, June 28, 2012

how we may enter the kingdom of heaven



‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord”, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only one who does the will of my Father in heaven. On that day many will say to me, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?” Then I will declare to them, “I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.”
Matthew 7.21-23


The above passage was the Gospel reading for Holy Communion yesterday. As I celebrated the Eucharist at a bedside in a local hospital, with only think curtains separating us from the hustle and bustle of the ward, I was struck with particular force by these words. About how important they are for all who would call themselves Christians.  And particularly for those who are ordained - first bishops and then priests - those who have a responsibility for leading & teaching others.  


Perhaps I was thinking this way was because of where I was. It is impossible in a hospital not to be reminded of how fragile human life is. And how near death is at all times.


Perhaps it was because I have recently become rector of a parish. Each day reminds me how great a task it is with which I have been entrusted. It is truly an awesome responsibility to be charged with making others understand that it is not enough for one to say 'Lord, Lord,' but that they must do the will of the Father.


So please pray for those of us with that responsibility. And pray for yourself and all others that you will this day and always do the will of the Father.

Having read, now share with others - hit the buttons below!

4 comments:

  1. It can become a heavy load to bear that responsibility - but then we remember that it is God who works in us and through us and I suppose that is why we have the strength to keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daniel. I am sure that with God's grace & the prayerful support of others I will bear up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. {hugs}

    Indeed - and my prayers are with you, Father. Sobering "comic" this go around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gina ... the next couple are a bit more cheerful (I hope)!
    http://thewayoutthere1.blogspot.ie/2012/06/obamatax-gambit.html
    http://thewayoutthere1.blogspot.ie/2012/06/obamacare-round-one.html

    ReplyDelete