Friday, September 7, 2012

latest abuse reports

The letters page of the Irish Times was today full of angry letters condemning the Catholic Church in the wake of the latest audit reports concerning child protection in some Irish dioceses and religious orders. Like most parents, like most human beings, I am always shocked by what these reports contain. 

The reports are very important - they expose the wrongdoings of the past, and they act as a reminder of how important the child protection that most organisations have put in place over the last number of years.

Not that I have time to trawl through the reports. There are seven this time - I haven't the time to read them all ... or even give them a decent glance over. And I'm guessing that the angry letters writers haven't had time to read them either (although I am open to correction). 

Like most people I rely on the journalists to provide me with a balanced review of what these reports contain. Like this opinion piece in yesterday's Irish Times by their religious affairs correspondent. And yet having read it, for all the indignation, it seems to me that, shocking as individual incidents are, most are from the past. Almost all mentioned are from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Isn't that something positive? 



1 comment:

  1. "And I'm guessing that the angry letters writers haven't had time to read them either (although I am open to correction)"

    ...

    Doubtful correction is needed. *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete