Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Duchess, privacy, & those photos



The Irish Press Ombudsman, John Horgan, stated in the Irish Times yesterday he could not respond to queries about the photographs published of the Duchess of Cambridge in the Irish Star as he had not received any complaints. I have remedied that situation. He now has a complaint. I know because I submitted it.

Complaint Submitted to the press ombudsman at 00.05 Tuesday, 18 September 2012: 
I wish to make a formal complaint about the Irish Star's publication of photographs of the Duchess of Cambridge in a state of semi-undress. The photographs were taken without her consent and were a gross violation of her privacy. Their publication served no public interest and served to deepen the violation of her privacy. The behavior of the Irish Sun in this matter serves only to foster prurience & as such is demeaning to the people of Ireland and women globally. I would also add that given the Duchess's position on the world stage and the completely unjustifiable manner in which these pictures were taken, their publication is grave stain on the reputation of this country.


Let us see how he responds.  

If you would like to contact the Irish Press Ombudsman to make a complaint about this matter, you can find the details here.  One may make a complaint up to three months after the publication of an article.

Note: I have an update to this post here.

2 comments:

  1. Biting yet honest. Sometimes the truth has teeth. As usual, well done. And I'm glad you got a response. Had to cycle back here to find your original commentary. I'm behind on my reading, and having your blog blocked from my access does not help! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina - this was a bit of a learning curve for me ... good this that I have always been a quick study :)

    What do you mean when you say 'having your blog blocked from my access does not help!' Are you blocked in some way? Is there something that I can do from my end (no clue really - spot the non-techie in the group!).

    Anyway, God bless ... tearing busy at the moment ... have just started a mid-week evening Mass followed by Bible study in the parish, a morning prayer service Mon-Fri, confirmation class starts on Fri, and youth group tomorrow ... keep me in your prayers!

    ReplyDelete