Monday, October 29, 2012

haiku 3

adult child
-his mother small
in a hospital bed

I remember this poem vividly. My mother was in hospital, seriously ill. She needed brain surgery. She was a farmer's daughter who had gone on to be a nurse. She had always been physically strong as well as being a very dominant personality. This was the first time I had ever seen her laid low.

I wrote several poems on this topic. I remember one commenter on the web forum I published them saying he thought they were my finest work to date. I thought it a bitter-sweet compliment.

Ironically, this poem has a particular resonance for me at this time. My mother never fully recovered from that operation & has slowly declined over the years. At the moment she is curled up, small and fragile, in the bed of her nursing home, perhaps facing what will turn out to be her final illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment