Saturday, January 12, 2013

Guardian Angels


Leafing through the Glenstal Book of Prayer (which, as I mentioned previously, was part of my under the Christmas tree 'haul' this year) I came across a prayer from my youth, the Guardian Angel Prayer. I'm sure you know how it goes, but just in case:

Angel of God, my Guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here;
Ever this day be at my side,
to light and guard to rule and guide. Amen.

That was something I used to pray, on my knees, at the side of my bed, as a child. I wonder how many children today are even taught it? Indeed, how many are taught about their Guardian Angels? They probably know more about the 'New Agey' version of Angelology than they do about what the Church of God has to say. A pity. It's wonderful to be reminded that God has you in his special care in this way as you recite this prayer, morning and evening. Of course, it needs a slight alteration to make sense if you're going to use it at night. Some recommend changing 'Ever this day' to 'Ever this night,' but I'm not sure what follows sounds right if you do that ... after all, it's for when you're asleep, & how can your Guardian Angel 'rule and guide' when you're deep in the land of Nod? So personally I change it to:


Angel of God, my Guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here;
Be with me throughout this night
and guard me 'til the morning light. Amen.

As I never tire of saying, Christianity is a package deal. You don't get to pick and chose the bits you like, or the bits that make 'sense' to our limited minds. And angels are very much part of the package. So why not start your day asking your Guardian Angel to guide you through the day and to watch over you through the night? It might seem a childish thing ... but are we not all children of God? And if you're anything like me, you're asking for help you need ... and I'm sure will  receive. 



6 comments:

  1. <3 this! We don't hear enough about our Guardian Angels. I pray to mine frequently, and I refrain from sinning on occasion because I can almost feel the gaze of my angel urging me to judge wiser.

    LoL

    I wish I could high five you for this one. *Grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina ... I'll have to keep in mind the thought of my angel's gaze on me also ... a wee bit of pressure to stay on the straight in narrow is no harm for us all!

    By the way, is Vince old enough for that story I posted yesterday? The four year olds in our local primary school loved it ... I'd be interested to know what Vince thinks ... but perhaps he's too little for that kind of story? He's only about two, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's three. I was thinking about the story, myself, as I'd never heard it before. I actually thought to myself, "I'll have to remember that for next year when Vince is old enough to give it a go."

    Courtesy of all the hearing problems he had early on, his comprehension has suffered a bit so even though he turned three in September, he's about 6 months behind his peers with verbal / cognative skills. My guess is by next year, he'll be fully caught up wit his peers and be ready to hear "your" take on the Magi and their little helper. :) Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's bigger than I thought. He definitely should be ready by four, though. And you wouldn't have heard the story before as I only wrote it an hour before I had to go into the class and talk about the Magi last Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So it WAS your doing! I was wondering about that. :) Well done! Methinks you should put it into a children's book. Find an artist who could draw up some cute pics and you'll have quite the Christmas pocket lining next year!

    I'm not even kidding. It's perfect for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gina - you really are too kind.

    ReplyDelete