Monday, January 28, 2013

Prayer diary


Every week in my parish, as part of the weekly 'notes' where I try to keep folk informed about what's going on in the parish, I produce a little prayer diary. Nothing fancy, simply a verse or two from that day's Gospel for Holy Communion followed by a very short reflection on it. I preface this prayer diary with the following words:

We are a Community of Prayer. We may not gather daily to pray, but we can pray together each day through our Parish Prayer Diary.

It occurred to me that this prayer diary might be of use and interest to those who read this blog (which is, of course, something of a virtual community). Below is the one for this week to give you an idea of what it's like. Let me know what you think. I would probably post future diaries as individual posts for each day rather than the whole lot at the start of the week ... unless, of course, I got a lot of people saying they would rather it all at the start of the week so they could print it off to use when it suited. Anyway, as I said, let me know what you think. 

+ Monday 28 'If but touch the hem of his garment, I will be made well.' Mark 5.28 
Reflection
The faith of the afflicted woman is inspiring. Pray that you will have even a fraction as much faith in our Lord. 

+ Tuesday 29
'Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary?' And they took offence at him. Mk 6.3 
Reflection
It is easy to find reasons to deny the authority of Christ and his Church has over our lives. Pray God's strength to walk the harder road of faith.

+ Wednesday 30
For Herod himself had sent men who arrested John, bound him, and put him in prison. Mark 6.17 
Reflection 
Herod rejected God's law to pursue the pleasures of this world. But this world does not last. Pray that you do not fall into the same trap as Herod.

+ Thursday 31
Jesus said to his disciples 'Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.' Mark 6.31 
Reflection
We all need time away from the world to spend in the presence of God. When was the last time you went on retreat? Or even took a quite day, or part of a day, solely for prayer and reflection?

+ Friday 1 (St Brigid's Day)
'I am the good shepherd; I know my own, & my own know me.' John 10.14 
Reflection
St Brigid, one of Ireland's patron saints, knew Christ to be her Lord, and knew herself to be his. Pray that you will also truly know this and live it.

+Saturday 2 (The Presentation of Christ in the Temple)
'For mine eyes have seen the salvation which you have prepared before the face of all people.' Luke 2. 30,31 
Reflection
Simeon held the Christ-child and knew he beheld God's promise of salvation face to face. We behold that salvation through the eyes of faith. Pray that that faith may grow stronger day by day until you come at last to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment