Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sacramental confession in the Anglican Tradition


There's an excellent post today over at catholicity and covenant on the use (indeed the imperative)  of sacramental confession in the Anglican Tradition (link here). 
(update: the post was in two parts; part two here)

When I was a child, the sacrament of confession was inextricably linked with that of the Eucharist ... because how better to know that you received the latter sacrament worthily than by regular attendance at the former? Well I remember emerging from the cool dimness of the church on a Saturday evening, blinking in the brightness of the tea-time sun, feeling washed clean and whole again. Indeed, I sometimes thought if I were to die at that moment I would die without any fear of death, having the assurance that I died free of the stain of any sin.

I would suggest the post as highly recommended reading to anyone considering taking up the practice of this sacrament themselves or wishing to have strong background literature to help them encourage others to frequent use. With the penitential season of Lent almost upon us, it is a timely reminder of the importance of the sacrament. 

No comments:

Post a Comment