Thursday, February 14, 2013

Will a new Pope bring major changes?



Since the Pope announced his resignation there has been a litany of calls that his successor should remake the Catholic Church in various ways. 
My own thought on that is that it's not going to happen.

My reasoning is as follows ... contrary to what some may think, the pope does not govern according to his own personal whim. His charge is to guide the barque of St Peter in accordance with the doctrines of the church as passed down through the centuries. This makes radical changes unlikely, to say the least. 

When the conclave has done its work there will be a new pope, not a new Catholic Church.

(a link to my letter in today's Irish Times on this here)

2 comments:

  1. When the conclave has done its work there will be a new pope, not a new Catholic Church.

    I sincerely think you understand the Catholic faith better than many of my Catholic brothers and sisters. This could not possibly have been said any better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gina ... I think that line is the reason the irish times carried my letter!

    And interesting what you say about how well I understand the Catholic faith ... the letter/post was born out of the frustration of reading all the ignorant nonsense that has been said by people what call themselves good Catholics, but appear neither to know anything about the Church they claim allegiance to, nor indeed to wish to see a Catholic as the next pope.

    ReplyDelete