Friday, December 12, 2014

imagine

'Did you hear that story on the radio?'

Settling myself comfortably into a chair by the fire, cup of tea in one hand, digestive biscuit in the other, I confessed that I hadn't listened to the radio that day.

'That hospital is in the news again. A woman was on - she went in for a scan and they told her the baby had no heartbeat. They told her to come back in a couple of days for the D and C. When she came back a different nurse found the heartbeat no bother. There was nothing wrong with the child at all.'

'That must have been very hard for the poor mother.'

'Dreadful. Joy and anger, she said. But imagine if they'd offered to do the D and C there and then. And she'd said yes. Just imagine. Her baby would be dead. She must be thinking that. The poor woman. She had a lucky escape.'

'She did,' I agreed. The conversation continued. I sipped my tea and nibbled my biscuit. And in the back of my mind I thought of the women hearing that story on the radio who had attended that hospital over the years, women who had been told there was no heartbeat, women who had had a D and C based on what they were told. 

It was terrible to think what they must be imagining as they heard the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment