Thursday, March 19, 2015

catching up


I had lunch with an old friend today. We hadn't seen each other in around 25 years, not since we were both military broadcasters in Lajes Field, in the Azores (think 'Good Morning Vietnam' without the screaming and the shooting and the screaming). His daughter was dancing in the St Patrick's day parade in Cork, and being only nine naturally she couldn't come without mom and dad ... etc, etc ... and so, before you know it, we were sitting in the very nice Cathedral Cafe in Kilkenny talking over old times and wondering where the years had gone.

Alas, we are unable to say we look no different to when we last met. However, we took consolation in the fact that at least we both still had hair (even if mine looks almost white in the photo ... but I think that it's just a trick of the light ... black with a few strands of grey is what I see when I look in the mirror ... and that, I tell you, is the acid test!).

I often disparage Facebook. But today I have reason to be grateful for it. The past may be a land we can never visit again; but we can at least meet and talk with those who traveled there with us and remember what made that now faraway land so special and do our best to keep it alive in our memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment