Sunday, June 26, 2016

saved by the Brexit!

So, the 'leave' side won in the Brexit debate. Did I see it coming? I can't say that I did ... but I did think it likely enough to defer buying the sterling I need for a trip to England next week until after the results were in - and saved myself about €20 on the exchange rate as a result, thank you very much!

On a serious note, the narrow victory - which means that the UK remains very much divided over the issue - does show that a major change such as this over such a contentious issue would probably have been served by requiring a two-thirds majority rather than a simple one. Too late now ... but perhaps a lesson to be learned for other nations ... particularly if the UK's example prompts others to consider doing likewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment